Hi friends, I hope you’re ready to embrace the crisp air, the scent of gingerbread, and warm food in the cold season.
The ultimate dish I can eat all week long is this beautiful and satisfying winter salad full of flavor with vibrant color and taste. This plate has roasted beets, spinach, avocado, blood oranges, roasted brussels sprouts, plenty of crumbled goat cheese, sprinkled with pomegranate, and topped with candied walnuts.
Not only that this salad is so yummy to eat, but they’re also full of nutrition, healthy fats, and protein. Because the whole plate is fulfilling, you can certainly serve this dish as a meal and be happy.
So welcome winter, I’m ready!
Winter Salad with pomegranate and candied walnuts
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, (don't worry if you have extras, you can always serve them on the side)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1½ ounces light brown sugar
- 2 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large beets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Apple Cider Vinnaigrette
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ teaspoon minced shallots
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
To make roasted brussels sprouts
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
To make candied walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 300° F
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and water with a fork or a whisk for 30 second or until foamy.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, salt, and cinamon.
- Toss over walnuts and coat it completely.
- Spread the spiced walnuts on the baking sheet pan and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. You can check when the walnuts are toasted and the egg whites and sugar are practically dry.
- Leave it on the sheet pan for about 30 minutes to cool it down.
To Roast beets
- Preheat the oven to 300°-325° (or this is when you can roast beets and toast the candied walnuts at the same time in the oven!)
- Clean the beets wih water and pat them dry.
- Drizzle the beets with olive oil, then cover them completely with an aluminum foil.
- Place them on the sheet pan and bake in the oven for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- The beets are done when a paring knife slides easily to the center of the beet.
- Peel the skin and slice or dice them.
To assemble salad
- Add spinach, roasted brussels sprouts, and roasted beets in a bowl. Drizzle with salad dressing and lightly toss them.
- Add sliced avocados, blood oranges, crumble goat cheese, and candied walnuts.
- Sprinkle with a tiny bit more of salad dressing, and enjoy!
To make apple cider vinegraitte
- Mix all ingredients vigorously in a mason jar.