This is a very light and lemony loaf of bread you can enjoy in a hot season (hello July!)
For many zucchini lovers, this vegetable is a great main ingredient for your bread. The water content in this vegetable makes the bread super moist and soft. Using summer spices is also the key to a vibrant and fresh flavor.
I am a big fan of lemon and ginger, so adding these spices in my bread was a no brainer for me. You can also add any of summer spices to your bread, muffins, cakes, or pies!
Needless to say, I’ll be saving my cinnamon and nutmeg for cold weather seasoning and enjoying this super moist zucchini bread with lemon glaze in hot sunny days.
Summer Zucchini with Lemon Glaze
- a cheese grater
- a zester / a Microplane
- a mixing bowl
- a whisk
- a loaf pan (9 inches X 5 inches pan)
For the bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup olive oil (or natural oil like vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini (or about 2 long medium-size zucchini) Do not peel the skin.
For lemon glaze
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 2½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or nondairy butter-like coconut butter.
To make the bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Using a cheese grater, place grated zucchini in a large bowl.
- Add oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Add lemon zest, grated ginger, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Add flour and mix. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake until about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick or a cake tester inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.