For this strawberry shortcake, I used genoise for a lighter and spongy texture. With a hint of lemon zest and the natural sweetness of strawberries, this is a perfect cake everyone can enjoy this summer!
In this method, I whisked the eggs and sugar over double boiler to warm the mixture before whisking it in a standing mixer. This process helps eggs to emulsify better, so it will result fluffier and thicker batter. So let’s Bake!
Sponge Cake / Genoise
- 8 large eggs
- 10 oz granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 lemon zest (optional)
- 1½ lb strawberries, hulled and cut in quarters
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F for non-convection oven or 325°F for convection oven.Have two 8-inch cake pans ready, lined with lightly sprayed parchment paper.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water to support the bottom of a mixing bowl.
- Zest the lemon and mix it with flour. Set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water, heat the eggs and sugar and whisk constantly by hand for about 3 minutes.
- Continue whisking the eggs-sugar mixture until the sugar dissolved, and the mixture is warm to touch.
- Place the bowl on the standing mixer fitted with the whip attachment and whip it until very thick and tripled in volume. This will take about 5 minutes. In the meantime, sift the flour.
- Using rubber spatula, add the flour 1/3 cup at a time into the egg mixture and fold it gently until all incorporated.
- Take ½ cup of the mixture and stir it into the cool melted butter, mix thoroughly and add it back, folding lightly to incorporate. Be careful not to over mix and deflate the air bubbles you have worked to build.
- The batter will not be completely smooth since there is lemon zest in it. But it's totally ok! The zest will add lemony flavor to the cake.
- Divide the batter into two 8 inch cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Mix cut strawberries with sugar and lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peak.
To assemble the cake
- Cool the cake completely.
- Use pastry brush, lightly pour the liquid from the strawberry filling on top of the cake.
- Using spatula, add whipped cream and smooth it out.
- Add slice strawberries and scattered them all over the cake.
- Add the second layer on top of the first one and repeat the process.