Quiche is a baked egg custard with pastry crust filled with pieces of meat, cheese, or vegetables. It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch with friends and family.
Roasted tomatoes and kale quiche
A simple and healthy breakfast quiche with kale and cherry tomatoes.
Servings 6 people
- 500 grams all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 250 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 250 ml cold water
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped kale, lightly sauteed until wilted
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 cup goat cheese, cut into cubes, you can also use grated gruyere, or swiss cheese.
To make pie crust
- Mix flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a couple times to mix.
- Add about half of the butter to the food processor and pulse several times. Then add the rest of the butter and pulse 6 to 8 times until the largest pieces of butter are about the size of large peas.
- Slowly add cold water into the mixture. Keep adding the cold water a tablespoon at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition until the dough just barely begins to hold together.
- Divide the dough mixture into two even-sized mounds. Use your hands and knead each mound just enough to form each one into a disk. Be careful not to over-knead! Kneading develops gluten which will toughen the dough. You should just knead enough so that the dough holds together without cracks.
- Keep the dough in the fridge until it's ready to use.
To pre-bake pie crust
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- With rolling pin, flatten the pie crust and place it into glass or ceramic pie plate.
- Firmly press bottom and sides into plate and finish the edges of the crust by pursing the edges together between your thumb and forefinger. Refrigerate crust until oven has heated completely.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper over the crust and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes until set and just starting to brown. Remove crust from oven and set aside to cool.
To make quiche filling
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add chopped kale and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the kale starting to wilt. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a small bowl. You can adjust the taste as desired.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in halves, and set aside.
- Mix together heavy cream, eggs, and yolk in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper.
- Add sauteed kale into the cream and eggs mixture and fold gently.
- Pour filling into pie crust and spread it out evenly. Top with cut tomatoes, and goat cheese and spread it over the filling. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Remove from oven. Let quiche rest for 15 minutes before slicing.